Skip to main content

International Students & EIL

Before registering, be sure you have first: paid your return airfare and housing deposits, sent a copy of your passport and intent to enroll form and submitted your proof of immunization.
  • The English as an International Language program, commonly known as “EIL,” is provided for non-native speakers of English to improve their English skills. The program consists of courses in the areas of listening and speaking, writing, and reading.

    Students are tested and may be recommended for intermediate or academic English placement in the EIL program. Students who test and demonstrate higher English skills may move directly into GE and major courses.

    Upon completion of the EIL program, students are better prepared to be successful in their university studies as a result of improved English skills.
  • BYU–Hawaii requires most international students to be tested in English prior to their arrival at the university. The ELAT is a free, online English test exclusively for BYUH applicants. BYUH requires a minimum score in each English language skill area to pass the ELAT.

    Reading - score of 10 or more
    Listening - score of 11 or more
    Writing - score of 3.5 or more
    Speaking - score of 3.5 or more

    After ELAT testing, students will be either placed into the appropriate level of EIL coursework, or be listed as OUT, meaning they can jump straight into other university courses.

    Those students who are admitted to the university with a TOEFL or IELTS score may also need to take an EIL placement exam. See your academic advisor.
  • Most international students will be auto-registered for classes based on your ELAT or EIL placement scores and your declared major/minors. You will receive an email about this registration. If you have a medical vaccination hold, you might temporarily be registered into a placeholder class (EIL 75) for 12 credits to hold your spot until you are able to clear your holds.

    What if I don't need to test for placement in EIL? Please follow the directions for new freshmen or transfer students.
  • They EIL Department evaluates the ELAT test results which are then scored, rated, and students are given EIL "placements." Students who are placed into Intermediate and Academic English levels of EIL are required to register and complete these EIL required courses. Because English proficiency is one of the desired outcomes of education at BYUH, the EIL placements are required to be completed before a student can take ENGL 101, a required GE course for all students.

    Students who are placed into academic English level courses may choose from a selection of GE or major courses to take with their EIL courses. An academic advisor can help to determine which GE or major courses will work best with the student’s schedule and EIL courses.
  • Typically, students will complete one level of EIL courses each term or semester. The final exams in these courses will determine if the student is ready to move to the next level, or if additional time is needed to improve. Once students have progressed through the intermediate and academic English levels of EIL courses, they are ready to register for GE and major classes. Depending on a student’s initial placement, the time spent in the EIL program varies.

Important Link

International Student Services

Additional information on what to do before and after your arrival at BYU–Hawaii.