Skip to main content
Transfer Students

It is essential that you have all your college transcripts sent to BYU-Hawaii. Please make sure our Admissions office has an updated transcript from your former institution/s (see the bottom of this page for the mailing address). Students may be asked to provide course descriptions and/or syllabi for courses in which substitutions are requested. Transfer students are encouraged to meet with their Academic Advisor once they arrive on campus. The Academic Advisor will submit substitutions requests to the appropriate department.

  • Toggle Item
    What General Education Courses should I register for?
    Requirements for General Education for Students transferring with an Associate's Degree

    Associate’s degrees (AAS, AGS, AS, AA, ALS)* from accredited colleges and universities will be accepted to complete GE requirements, with the additional course work of Advanced Writing (ENG 315, etc.) and World Communities (GE 300) (6 hours)

    Starting Fall 2016: For any student transferring in credit without an Associate’s Degree listed above*, credits will be reviewed course by course to grant equivalencies or substitutions. Total credits transferred will also be considered.

    Please note that students who transfer with an Associate's Degree are given six semesters in residence to complete their degree.

    If you are transferring without an Associate's Degree then you will also need to have your transfer credits evaluated before you can have a final count of your semesters in residence. You can get a general sense of the semesters you will have in residence on the Allotment of Time in Residence page. You can see BYU-Hawaii's General Education requirements here. You can plan to register for classes that you clearly know that you have not taken.
  • Toggle Item
    What major classes should I take?
    You can also plan your first semester's classes by looking at sample Major Academic Plans (MAPs) that have been made for both the new Freshmen and the transfer students with an Associate's degree. Depending on how many credits you will be transferring, you will be somewhere between those two.

    All students should have declared a major by the time they reach 30 credit hours and some majors will take very careful planning to fit into your allotment of Semesters in Residence. These typically include the sciences. If you are seriously considering majoring in Biology or Biochemistry then you will want to declare this major right away and take Biology for Science Majors (BIOL 112) your first semester. If you only have six semesters in residence as a transfer student with an associate's degree, some majors may be too long for you to finish within the time you have in residence at BYU-Hawaii. Be sure to look carefully at the sample Major Academic Plans (MAPs). Be aware that an appeal is possible, if needed, once you have completed a MAP with an advisor after you arrive on campus.
  • Toggle Item
    How can I decide what major and career are right for me?
    There are some helpful online tools and information available through BYU-Hawaii Career Services. Take some time to think through your future with Focus 2. Plan 1-2 hours to complete this online assessment that will help you see which majors and career paths might be a good fit for you.
  • Toggle Item
    What courses will be accepted as transfer credits?
    Application of transfer credit will be determined on a course by course equivalency basis. All transfer courses with a C- grade or better will be accepted by BYU-Hawaii as general education credit, major credit or elective credit. Credit for courses of a remedial nature (usually numbered 99 and below) will not be transferable. BYU-Hawaii does not transfer Grade Point Averages (GPA) when transferring credits from other institutions.

    To see a list of courses from other Universities that have already been made equivalent to BYU-Hawaii courses see the bottom of the Admissions transfer information page

    A person transferring to BYU Hawaii with an associate's degree will need to take additional hours to fulfill the general education requirement for a bachelor's degree. These are the classes needed beyond an associate's degree:

    • Associate’s degrees (AAS, AGS, AS, AA, ALS) from accredited colleges and universities will be accepted to complete GE requirements, with the additional course work of Advanced Writing (ENG 315, etc.) and Local Communities (GE 100) (6 hours)
    Students will be notified by their advisor about general education requirements remaining to be completed. The student's major department evaluates courses for the major requirements.
  • Toggle Item
    What information do I need to provide to my Academic Advisor?
    Please submit course descriptions to your Academic Advisor for courses in which you feel can substitute our GE and Major/Minor courses. In some cases, syllabi may be requested by a program for additional information. It is also the student's responsibility to make sure our Registrar's office has an updated transcript.
  • Toggle Item
    Where do I send my transcript?
    Please send all official and sealed transcripts to:

    BYU-Hawaii Admissions OfficeBYU–Hawaii #197355-220 Kulanui St.Laie, HI 96762
  • Toggle Item
    Advanced Placement (AP) Credits?
    Students who completed Advanced Placement courses in high school and scored a composite grade of 3, 4, or 5 may receive up to eight semester hours of credit in each subject. Credits will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
  • Toggle Item
    If I already have a four-year degree, can I earn another one at BYU-Hawaii?
    In keeping with its mission to educate as many students as possible, BYU-Hawaii does not admit students for a second bachelor's degree.